Sunday, July 09, 2017

 

How I Won Best Table Topics Ribbon for an impromptu speech on Collaboration



At Harrovian Speakers club on Monday July 3rd, 2017 I was the best table topics speaker ribbon for an impromptu speech on Collaboration.

I said:

I helped organize a session on mentoring at the Club Officer training. Only two people at this (Harrovians Speakers club) meeting, Kavita and me, were there, so it will be news to you
this was a collaboration from the start.

My speech on mentoring at HOD Toastmasters club had seen by Kavita, Area Director,  who asked me to run a session demonstrating mentoring at the Club officer Training, attended by committee members of the four clubs in the area.

Kavita said it was a 15 minute spot, which I could share with two members of my mentoring committee, Loran and Ruth. Easy. I only had to speak for five minutes. Easy. I'd given sessions on mentoring previously using HQ slides.

I just needed to check that Ruth and Lorna and I did not overlap. I emailed Ruth and Lorna and asked one of them to speak on mentoring advantages for clubs, and mentors, and mentees. and one to speak on the challenges of pairing up mentors and mentees. They both emailed back, useful information. But both were away on the training date.

So I emailed Indra, who was my original mentor, and had done mentoring sessions with me previously. I want away on holiday, leaving Indra to liaise with Kavita. I told Kavita I had no time to make new slides. So she asked a member of an in house club to make slides.

On the night it was a great success. We needed with my calling Indra on stage, demonstrating taking a selfie of mentor and mentee, which is done in Singapore. Six people collaboration for a successful session.

Angela Lansbury, B A Hons, CL, ACG.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?