Thursday, February 18, 2016

 

Prize Winning Speeches in 2016 (and other speeches)


Here's a list of the speeches for which I won ribbons - maybe you can see why; also the ones where I did not - can you see why?

Recordings in my diary:

Certificates:
Participation:
Judge at  .. Saturday April 2nd 2016.

Recorded in Manuals:

Ribbons:
Best Table Topics: April 19 Tuesday evening at ACCA, 2016, accountants in Singapore (subject Favourite country to holiday - spoke about Singapore's Old Ford Factory WWII museums).
Francophone April 1st 2016.
Best Evaluator:2016
Best Speaker:


On club or competition agendas:

2016
Organising an event (wedding ceremony!)
1 Saturday Jan 16th 2016 at Botanical Gardens.
I am not qualified to perform a real ceremony but I performed a mock 'rehearsal' wedding ceremony outdoors on the Botanical Gardens bandstand where the bride to be planned to get married for the outdoor photographs for Andrew Whitney and Sharon Ng (now Mrs Whitney) when the officiant was late. About 100 guests according to the table plan.

Table topics bilingual club Bukit P a n j a n g 
I won best table topics ribbon
on
One Swallow doesn't make a spring.
I talked about counting birds for the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, annual bird watch in England every February. (How you count only two birds simultaneously to prevent over-counting one bird flying in and out. In winter you count only native birds which are in the UK all year.)
January 2016

Bison. I was language evaluator. I won table topics on weddings. Subject ? Be prepared. ?

Saturday 6 Feb 2016 at Toastmasters International Eurasian Club.
I won best evaluator, evaluating Carolyn Street-Johns.
I won best table topics. Question 

Second place International Speech Competition Feb 15 2016
Club Harrovians
Second place in Evaluation of Martin Doe's test speech Feb 15 2016.



Singapore, Jurong Green CC
March 19th
ANGELA WON BEST EVALUATOR RIBBON. 

Singapore Thursday 24th March, 2016. Eminent Toastmasters. 
Angela Lansbury won a ribbon for best table topic (impromptu speech). The subject was My Secret. 

Everybody sat round an large oval boardroom table and at each place was a horizontal oblong piece of paper with two boxes. One said My name is. the other said My Secret Is. 

I joked, "But if I tell you it will no longer be a secret!"

I thought, what can I say that isn't silly and promotes myself and my book on quotations. I filled in my answer and all the pieces of paper were put into a box. the first speaker to be called was Marshall, a tall American.  His secret was that when he first arrived in Singapore he had waist length dreadlocks. The weather was so hot that he gradually cut his hair shorter, year after year, until it is the length you see now.

My name was pulled out of the box. My answer was: I printed off a copy of my book and I want to turn it into an ebook so I can sell it at an affordable price. But I can't work out how to create an ebook. I've looked at kindle and Amazon but thought I would start with lulu.com . Each time I load it up I'm told I have not formatted it correctly. There are only three things you have to do. Put the title as A. But the contents as B. Put sub-headings as C.

You have to do that in order. Whatever I do, it doesn't work.

Afterwards a member I had evaluated, who sat next to me, said he would help me put my book on Lulu.com

Francophone Club at Cairnhill CC. 1st Friday of month. 2016 Friday April 1st.
Subject: You are in an accident, Somebody is dead and it's our fault. The other driver in tears thinks it's their fault. Do you confess? Answer: No, your insurance document forbids you to admit guilt. You await the police report.

(This actually happened to me.)
First I was passenger in a car which hit a pedestrian. I thought  the pedestrian was dead and my car's driver was at fault. The police told us the damaged hire car would be impounded and the brakes checked. If the brakes were faulty, the hire car company was at fault. Skid marks in the road, photographed by the police photographer would show the speed and direction of the car. The distance to the nearest traffic light would be measured. If the pedestrian had not crossed on a nearby crossing  9within 100 yards) but deliberately walked out in the road nearby he would be deemed to have caused the accident (walking in a forbidden area and without due care and attention).

On the second occasion i was driving on the M4 motorway in the slow lane when another car hit the back of mine. I though I must have been driving too slowly. Had I been looking at my phone - or was that several minutes earlier?

The driver of the tow truck which collected my car and dropped me off at the nearest station informed me that if the other car hit the back of mine the car which rear-ended me was at fault regardless. Even if my car was stationery, the car behind should have been at sufficient distance and speed to slow down.

See other post about my reply, in French. "I always think any accident is my fault!"
***
April 19 2016, Tuesday evening, accountants group, ACCA
(Not the other accountants group which is ISCA which I also attended.)
This group meets in Wisma on a high floor. I was met at Orchard MRT by area governor who helped me find the  passageway semi-circling anti clockwise from ION, along a passageway, then through entrance door at Basement Two, up in the lift. It's one of those high security buildings in Singapore where you can't even get into the toilets without finding the bottom to press to open the sliding door of your floor, then the door to the one cubicle seems to be locked so you think it's occupied. Eventually you go back in the break to eat, and find that the committee member has a key to the ladies and has to unlock it and there are two cubicles inside.

I was language evaluator and mentored a member doing a speech entitled Birds. I suggested she expanded her title to engage the audience what 's in it for me. The evaluator said the same.

WINNER OF BEST TABLE TOPIC at ACCA in Singapore, April 2016
At topics time the topics master had prepared eight topics. I waited whilst three guests spoke, Especially as Hock beside me kept saying, "Anybody who isn't on the programme to speak - this section is your turn." When we came to the fourth topic I was considering volunteering. The topics master said, "I've been told because of time this must be the last topic .." I immediately waved my hand.

The topic was, "What is your favourite country or destination for a holiday?"
"Singapore!" I shouted. Everybody smiled and laughed. The topics master or a heckler in the seated crowd asked, "Why Singapore?"
I considered whether to pick the Danish Seamen's Church I had visited earlier in the day, or the Old Ford Factory Museum about Singapore in WWII. With nobody from Denmark in the audience, little to say about the building, and unsure if anybody was Chrstian, I decided that Singapore in WWII would be more general interest. But did they already know it? I asked, how many of you have visited the museum. No hands went up. Just in case they were shy to say so, for fear of being asked, I reversed the questions, "How many have not visited it?" All hands went up.

"You should," I said. "It's free for Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents and only a couple dollars  or pounds if you are a visitor. It tells you about Singapore in World War II but six people could visit it and have a totally different experience. I went there with my husband. I was most interested in the plants used by people to eat in wartime and how coconuts were used not just for food but half a dozen other uses, such as oil for cooking, and burning the woody trunk and coconut shells to make heat for cooking. But my husband was interested in transport and how they used other products to make fuel for vehicles, and all the mechanical items, such as levers and tanks and boats.
I was also interested in the history. I'd always thought the Japanese demanded unconditional surrender by the Births because they were just being peremptory and ruthless. It turned out that the Japanese were in a hurry to get the British to agree to surrender (and disarm) because the Japanese were heavily outnumbered and as soon as the British realised this they might change their minds. A totally new view of history. ( I saw the red card for stop speaking and rushed to reach my conclusion relevant to the question.) Yes, Singapore's my favourite place. It's full of fascinating places to see - I and you haven't seen half of them."
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, speech writer and performer.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?