Monday, September 20, 2021

 

My winning answer to table topics question: which one sense would you rather keep if you had to lose all but one?

 






At Harrovians Speakers' club in London (on Zoom on the internet), September 20th 2021 I replied:

Sight, definitely. Because I am clumsy, and inclined to fall over, too, I need my sight to see where I am walking, outdoors and indoors. 

Also on Zoom at Toastmasters meeting I can follow what is going on with the ticker tape speech to sound at the bottom of the screen. If I have to speak the same can happen. 

I admire Helen Keller. She was able to give speeches when she was both deaf and blind.   People tend to hear and see less well as they get older. /Most people lose some of their sight or hearing as they get older.

My parents both lost some of their hearing when they got older. So did my beloved uncle, but he was able to play the violin. 

I use some sight now to understand what people are saying. You know that if you put me on mute or if I simply mouthed thank you, you could see what I was saying. The same applies (offline) when driving. You can see if another driver mouths thank you. Or another two word message, when I shall describe as get lost as families may be watching. 

So, to sum up, sight is what I would rather keep.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?