Saturday, March 04, 2017

 

My Winning Table Topic (Impromptu Speech) on Following Rules versus Fun



Problem Darren Tay gave a session at Thomson Toastmasters club. When you are in a contest most speakers will opt for the conventional approach. If you can say the opposite you will stand out as different and original. 

(Plus memorable! Have been a judge many times, I know how important the memorable speech is when you go to pick the first place speaker. 

I shall write another post on judging competitions.) 

 When I heard the table topic - fun or following rules, I remembered a recent death reported in the Singapore newspaper ('Today')

I had an instant reaction of almost outrage. A little voice inside me was shouting, "NO, NO, NO!" I had been shy about pushing myself forward to speak. An official had tried to make me sit in the back row. I took that as a message that I should allow the club members, officials, and guests who were relatives and supporters of speakers to speak and be seen. 

But I had spoken to Darren in the interval, was wearing my red dress (to encourage myself more than be noticed.) To my surprise others opted for the choice of one of 28 numbers on the screen. I knew I wanted to answer the topic. 

My answer was: 'No - this is a recipe for disaster, Rules are there for a reason. How many of you read this week about the boy who died jumping over the barrier?' (Hands went up.) 

'I am a mother. How many of you are mothers? How many of you are fathers? (Don't you feel for the parents of the boy who died?) You are all potential mothers and fathers or grandparents and know how your parents would feel if you died.

'This accident would not have happened if the people involved had said: "We should obey written and understood rules." Just ask yourself, would my parents do this? Would my teacher or head teacher do this? Would anybody in charge, and a responsible person, do this?

'If not, don't do it. There are many ways to have fun. You can play monopoly, play cards, do things which are fun but not dangerous. Live to have fun another day, have fun today, tomorrow, and your whole life. (Be safe, safety first.) Follow that rule.'

   Tip 
To see Darren Tay's prize winning speech go to:
Useful Website

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v26CcifgEq4 

 Angela Lansbury, author and speaker. Member of Harrovian Speakers, HOD Speakers, Braddell Heights Advanced Speakers. Author of: Quick Quotations Who Said What When

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?