Monday, February 15, 2016

 

On Radio: If you can't answer, don't answer.



 I was speaking on radio about the marriage in Nepal, having explained that I hadn't met the couple just seen the preparations on the buildings. The interview was live.

The interviewer's last question, "Was what does she look like - when you met her?" 
I stammered that I hadn't met her. 
I was upset. 

So when I went for another radio interview about a book on Shopping By Post, interviewed by Sue McGregor on Woman's Hour, I carefully went through all the questions, assured that I wouldn't be asked surprise questions which I couldn't answer. 

At the end she had a few seconds to spare and she asked me, 'What will the next legislation be?' 

I refused to answer, shook my head and waved my hand. 

After a moment's pause, she ended, "That is a question we must all ask ourselves." 

When I got home, my family had recorded my great moment on Radio. 

I asked them, 'Did you hear that awful fluff at the end when I couldn't, didn't answer the question?' 

They said 'no'. 

Unconvinced, I played it back.

To my amazement, the interviewer's question sounded like a rhetorical question!

Two lessons here:

If your interviewee can't or won't answer, pretend it's a rhetorical questions.

If you don't want to answer, just say silent. Let the interviewer deal with the silence.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, researcher, author speaker.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?