Tuesday, February 16, 2016

 

My Prizewinning Speech On Be Prepared (To Run A Wedding Ceremony)

The first time I delivered this speech was at Harrovians Toastmasters club on Monday Feb 15 2016. Two members of the club suggested that I make it humorous and perform at the Humorous speech contest.

At the start we were told 'no photography allowed during speeches'. I presume that is so that flashlights don't distract speakers. The ruling also gives Toastmasters International copyright or right to license the right to film the proceedings and then sell the film to members and others as a fund-raiser for what I believe is a not for profit company.

I wish I had remembered to ask if it was OK for me to pass a smartphone to another person sitting nearby and ask them to video my speech.

The only other thing I could think of doing was either recording or videoing the speech immediately after I got home, at latest the morning after.

I typed up the speech afterwards including the last minute additions I added after dressing in a mother of the bride wedding outfit, new, unworn and quite expensive, which I decided to wear at the last minute.


My last minute joke was:

"Be prepared. I'm wearing my 'mother of the bride' outfit. I prepared (early) by buying this for my son's wedding. He doesn't yet have a girlfriend."

The word in brackets is what I considered adding, as an afterthought as I typed this.

I came second in the speech competition (also second in the evaluation competition). The winner of both first places thought she would probably be away/unavailable on the date of the competition so I would have the opportunity to compete at Area level.

Later I was emailed that she would be able to attend the area contest.




Angela Lansbury, CC, ATG.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?