Friday, November 28, 2014

 

Quotations on Wine

  • A glass of wine and thou.
  • At my age, I need glasses.
  • A que vino si no toma vino! (Why did you come if you don’t drink wine. The word vino in Spanish means both wine and came.)
  • Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.
  • Champagne and orange juice is a great drink. The orange juice improves the Champagne and the Champagne definitely improves the orange juice. (Duke of Edinburgh.)
  • Champagne gives me zest when I feel tired. (Brigitte Bardot.)
  • Come quickly, I am tasting the stars. (Dom Perignon, when he discovered Champagne. But wiki says bubbles were originally viewed as a fault.)
  • Don’t drink and drive. (Xmas road safety ad.)
  • Five reasons why we should drink, ‘Good friends, good times, or being dry, or lest we should be by and by, or any other reason why. (Thomas Jefferson.)
  • God made water, man made wine. (Victor Hugo.)
  • Good wine needs no bush.
  • I cook with wine, and sometimes I even add it to the food. (W C Fields.)
  • I drink it when I am happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I am alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I’m thirsty. (Madam Lily Bollinger, in London to launch the first vintage of Bollinger RD Champagne, to the Daily Mail, Oct 17, 1961.)
  • I’m only a beer teetotaller, not a Champagne teetotaller. (George Bernard Shaw)
  • It you drink, don’t drive. Don’t even put. (Dean Martin.)
  • In vino veritas. (In wine there is truth. Pliny the Elder, 23-79 A.D.)
  • My only regret is that I did not drink more Champagne.
    (Lord Maynard Keynes, on his deathbed. Milton Keynes is named after him.) 
  • Look, it’s wine o’clock.
  • Remember, gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s champagne. (WWI Winston Churchill., 30 Nov 1874-Jan 24 1965)
  • Save water. Drink wine.
  • The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations. (French proverb.)
  • The rich want good wine. The poor want plenty of wine. (German poet Johann Wolfgang Goethe, 28 August 1749 – 22 March 1832)
  • There are five reasons for drinking wine, the arrival of a friend, feeling thirsty, a good wine, any other reason.  (Latin saying.)
  • There is a devil in every berry of the grape. (Koran.)
  • Which three things would you take to a desert island? (To Goethe, writer of poetry, drama, novels and more.) ‘Poetry, a beautiful women and bottles of wine.’  And if you had to choose only two? ‘Depends on the vintage.’
  • Whisky is a slap on the back. Wine is a mist before the eyes. (Jimmy Stewart in the movie Philadelphia Story)
  • When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. (Henry Youngman.)
  • Wine improves with age. I improve with wine.
  • Wine is bottled poetry. (Robert Louis Stevenson.)
  • Wine is (constant) proof that God loves us and wants to see us (to be) happy. (Benjamin Franklin 17 Jan 1706-17 Apr 1790.)
  • Wine is the most healthful and hygienic of beverages. (Pasteur.)
  • Wine makes a man mistake words for thoughts. (Samuel Jonson.)
  • Wine, women and song.
From Quick Quotations by Angela Lansbury (Third version) Lulu.com

More champagne quotations on the website

http://www.champagnesabering.com/home.php?id=29&aid=102


Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?