Wednesday, September 24, 2014

 

Lessons On Props For Impromptu Speeches

I was in two competitions, table topics (impromptu speeches on a given topic) and the Humorous Speech contest. The event f the day was the vote on Scottish independence. At the last moment I looked around for a prop, in case I needed one. Picked up a hat with the England flag.

Maybe if I'd entered only one contest, I'd have put extra thought into my prop.

The winner of the topics contest was a friend of mine. I was happy for her to win because I won the other contest on the prepared humorous speech.

But the so-called unprepared speech is often partly prepared.

Her topic was a small masterpiece. She had a prop representing Scotland, to focus herself and her listeners on the arguments for voting for Scottish independence. Her other prop was the union Jack. By arguing for both sides she captured her entire audience. Her summing up said whichever way the vote went, she'd support both Scotland and the other countries and hope they would all work together.

The other thing she did well was to wear her prop. No fear of leaving it behind. Forgetting it. Dropping it.

But, better still, her prop was partly concealed until she spoke, then revealed as a surprise. So Well done Coralie. Thanks for teaching me about props and speech construction. 

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?