Thursday, March 13, 2014

 

Best Speaker on Helen Keller. 26Oct 1010 to Thomson Toastmasters, Singapore

Prop - a scarf over my eyes - led on stage as if blind.

Helen Keller was blind and deaf - yet she gave speeches. I can see you Mr President (Stanley Goh), fellow toastmasters and welcome guests. Imagine if you could not see the stage, make eye contact, tell if people were looking at you.
   As a child I saw a sign outside a church, 'I used to complain I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet'.
   I thought about Helen Keller. She could not see. But she dressed beautifully. She dressed to please others who could see.
   Thinking of others instead of herself gave her the courage to speak. People wanted to know about her problems and how she overcame them. Other people are interested in your problems and how you have overcome them.
   If she could speak, although she was blind and deaf, you can too. You are lucky. You can see me and hear me. I am lucky. I can see you, and hear you. Please applaud the person who inspires me every time I speak, and every day - Helen Keller. 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?